Friday, October 7, 2016

Books Changed My Life, and They Can Change Yours, Too


Welcome back to Snaps, Macs, and Actual Books!

Books Changed My Life, And They Can Change Yours, Too

Source: Melissa Curtis
I want to start this post off with a little story. It's the story of how my love for reading bloomed. 
In second or third grade, it was discovered that I had trouble reading; I wasn't up to the reading level with my other peers. My mom sent me to a local academic learning center for a summer to help improve my reading skills. It worked, to say the least, if you would talk to my family and friends. 
That summer was a turning point in my life and I didn't even realize it at the time. That summer is when I developed an addiction to books and reading and all they can give me.
You might be wondering, "Well, that's nice, but what's that got to do with marketing college libraries through the use of photography, design, and creative writing?" And I impulsively want to simply say that it doesn't, but that would be a lie.

Wait, what? 

Here's why. In my Advertising and Promotion class, I learned that one of three factors to keep in mind when specifying a target market are behavioral variables, specifically the consumer's past experience with the product or brand. While my goal isn't to specify a target audience, I want to tell about my past experience with reading and books and how they changed my life and how they can change yours, too.
Books gave (and continue to give) me... 

Me An Escape

escape
I didn't realize how much of an escape books and reading gave me until about middle school when the cliques form and the opinions of your peers matter (more than than they should). Loving books and reading as much as I did, I felt my peers thought I was weird for choosing a book over a basketball or volleyball. Where else do I turn to during that awkward phase? To my books for an escape from a reality where I felt like an outcast.

New Perspectives And Insights

New Perspective
Source: Gabriel Kronisch
There's no good way to explain this one except for this way. With reading many books from a variety of genres and even those that I probably wouldn't have chosen for myself, there comes a sense of seeing the world in a different way. It's almost as if you wake up and the world you once knew is completely different and you almost don't recognize it. You're given new perspectives and insights with each book you read.

Hope

Hope  
Source: Taymaz Valley
Let's face it. The world definitely has its problems. Some days I wonder if there's any hope left in the world. There is. Books have hope and can inspire. An obvious example of the quite depressing divorce rate makes me wonder, "Is there no love left in this world?" Where do I turn to? Books. Even though it may not be real or sometimes, realistic, the stories inspire the possibility of that kind of love existing. And it's that notion of possibility that helps me and many others and not just with the idea of love.  

A Way To Connect

Conversation
Source: Didriks
Referencing the dreaded middle school years when I felt like an outcast for loving reading, I found the silver-lining. Actually, it was more like I discovered that my love for books and reading gave me a way to connect with others loved reading and books as much as I did. No longer did I feel like an outcast.  

To sum it up:

Without books and realizing how much they've impacted my life, I wouldn't be working in the Rod Library at the circulation desk and (eventually) becoming a public relations student assistant for them. 
Without books, my life would be completely different.



How have books impacted your life? Which books have impacted your life?

Let me know in the comments below!



Stay tuned for next week's post! 

No comments:

Post a Comment